Change birth, marriage or death records

How it works

If you find an error on an Alberta record, you may be able to correct it with an amendment.

Event (birth, marriage, death and stillbirth) records may be corrected with an amendment.

When an event happened outside Alberta, contact the jurisdiction where the event occurred to request an amendment. For addresses for other jurisdictions, see Ordering documents form outside Alberta


The following are needed to correct a record:

Evidence to support the requested correction

  • Vital Statistics will work closely with you to provide the document and evidence details you’ll need

An affidavit

  • Vital Statistics will partially prepare an affidavit for you, based on what’s being corrected
  • the affidavit must be signed by you in the presence of a Commissioner for Oaths or a Notary Public


  • if the correction is requested within 90 days of the event, there’s no fee
  • if a correction is requested more than 90 days after the event, there’s a $20 fee
  • if you request an amendment through a registry agent or Registry Connect, they may charge an additional service fee; contact various registry agent offices as service fees may vary

Contact this service


310-0000, then
780-427-7013 (toll-free in Alberta)

8:15 am - 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Related services

Ordering documents from outside Alberta