Registration of Marriages
All Alberta marriages must be registered with the Government of Alberta. A Registration of Marriage is a permanent legal record of the marriage.
After a marriage is registered, you may order a marriage certificate. For details, see Ordering a Marriage Document.
How to RegisterYou will receive a Registration of Marriage form when you apply for and receive a Marriage Licence.
- Give the form to the person who will be performing the wedding ceremony.
- The form is fully completed and signed during the wedding ceremony.
- The person performing the wedding ceremony will submit the original document to the Government of Alberta.
Delayed Registration of MarriageIf a marriage is not registered within one year from the date of marriage, there are additional requirements and a fee of $20 to register the marriage.
- For information, contact the Vital Statistics Office.
Correcting a Registration of MarriageOnce a marriage is registered, changes may only be made with the appropriate legal documents.
- If a change is requested within 90 days from the date of marriage, there is no fee.
- If a change is requested more than 90 days after the marriage took place, there is a $20 fee.
For details, see Correcting a Registration.